Honouring tradition

As my brother put it, mid exam posts are almost always the tradition with student bloggers. Even if I haven't written a post in a month during vacations with all sorts of ideas running through my head, nothing beats the nudging compulsion to write a post during exam time (especially when you're bang in the middle of it) and you really have no inkling whatsoever on what to write.

I'm over with 2 exams and there are still three big ones left to go. All back-to-back; so this is the only time I have to write and check comments. The days now are packed with school, Aakash, studying at home and extra tuition top it all off. Walking to tuition takes up much of time but since I've never minded walking it's alright. Today a funny thing happened on my way over there. Walking on the street on a busy afternoon, I passed a bunch of people standing near a shop. Nothing strange about that, save for the fact that they were staring at me. I wondered why and walked on .
Then. To my slight embarrassment and a 'what is up with me?!' moment later, I realised that I had been talking to myself. Murmuring to myself whatever I was thinking. A soliloquy like one sees in romantic theatrical performances. Hastily in order to put right the situation, I reached my far hand (in the the side opposite to where they were standing) towards my ear and started speaking even more loudly. They must've thought I was talking to someone loudly on a mobile or something in a crowded street. Heheh. Fortunately acting like loud moron is considered normal. I think I almost saw one guy's hand withdrawing from his trouser pocket. Reaching for his phone to dial the nearest hospital, I figure.
So I've put up a poll, this is actually something I've been wondering for quite a lot of time.

Q. Do talk to yourself?

1> Yeah, whenever I'm alone or free.
2> Occassionally, unconsciously
3> Only when I feel like hearing myself say something.
4> The answer is No, I'm not a nutcase.

I'll have the poll open for a few weeks so that I get maximum responses.

Ok then, I'm off for now, back to The Molecular basis of Inheritance, I'm afraid.

10 comments:

Espèra said...

Do you speak aloud to yourself?

Because I speak in my head, and sometimes, my mouth moves but audible words don't come out.
When I'm studying, or am engaged in something, I'm rather likely to burst out and talk loudly. But only then.

Ankur Banerjee said...

Occasionally, unconsciously.

Anirudh Garg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anirudh Garg said...

I sometimes do it when alone...
and want to hear how I sound when I say something particular...
O_o

Anyway...nice post..
Well I posted so many times in a just a span of 48-72 hours 1-2 weeks back that I am giving it a rest now.
Will write one tomorrow. :D
FREEDOM!!!!!

Espèra said...

Anirudh: Freedom from what? Your exams over already?

aditi said...

ya totally! and i have loads of imaginary conversations which made me think m probably nuts but my friends do dat too!
not aloud ya..but ocassionaly

Anirudh Garg said...

@Espera

Got my last one tomorrow

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, learning how to hold conversations with my own self is probably one of the best things I ever did.

Oh and by the way, you gotta learn how to enjoy pain, and use it to your own ends.

Quicksilver said...

Espera -

Uh-huh, all the time. It scares me sometimes when I do it unconciously

Ankur -

And when all of a sudden you realise it, your cheeks flush and your pace quickens.

Ani -

why didn't you write one?
Check this out by the way - http://www.xkcd.com/525/
Do you do this too? try it.

Aditi -

I do it like I'm in a play or something..and I play every single role. The thought that you might be going nuts is, I think, the indication that you are not.

Holmes -

The cynics don't understand the secret of quiet solitary talk. I know, it makes you feel good about yourself and the world more sorted.

the part of enjoying pain, as opposed to bearing it, leaves me stumped.

Ankur Banerjee said...

@Quicksilver: No. I just start laughing, thus buttressing my claim to insanity.