If

*The poem 'If' goes like this - If you can dream and not make dreams your master/ If you can think and not make thoughts your aim/ If you can meet with triumph and disaster/ And treat those two impostors just the same/ If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken/ Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,/ Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,/ And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools.
You'll be man, my son. Master of you're own destiny, someone who's independent and stands up for what's right
*I remember reading a quote "It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees"
*After the (phenomenal) Puffin Quiz on Thursday, I came home to watch 'Rang De Basanti' on cable. That is one film that never fails to give me goosebumps. In fact the first time I saw it, I cried.
*Today is India's 63rd Independence Day.

All this just looks like vaguely related bits of information like a collage of newspaper headlines - their only claim to oneness is that they were all printed together in the morning paper. So what's the connecting link between the bits I mentioned at the start of the post. It's the fact that I'm a coward. Not that I haven't done foolhardy or ostensibly brave acts. I've had a large share of them and that's not what I'm talking about. What I mean is standing up for someone or something that's right. Standing up against injustices and atrocities. Extending a hand of solidarity to the oppressed as a way of saying 'Hey man, I'm with you'. I envy some people for doing just that like dad, my brother, mom and plenty of my friends. Utkarsha on Thursday was about to tell off a guy who yelled at us to stand in a line when we were to go into the Siri fort Auditorium for the quiz. I was the one who put a hand to his shoulder and said 'Let it pass, man. We don't want a scene here.' Now that I think about it - What is a scene exactly? A Commotion? A tantrum? Any act in a public place which invites attention to it by virtue of its improperness? Yeah that's it. And sometimes that's what's really needed. What if I hadn't stopped Utkarsha and had let him tell off the guy for speak impolitely? Many more who had the same thought on their minds would have spoken out too. The man might have realized his mistake and treated people better in the future. but that didn't happen. For all i know, the guy might be yelling at someone this very moment, not caring how he feels.

This independence day, we're having lovely weather - a quiet cool drizzle and a light breezy morning. As I stand outside in the beautiful weather, thinking that I should be at my cousin's place today flying kites like last year, another thought follows. I take an oath - To stand up for what I believe in, in any situation, no matter what. I also thought up the LIFE quote for August. It's a little harsh but that's how I feel right now -


"Stoicism is just a glorified term used to refer to the slow painful defeat of unassertive fools."



Happy Independence Day to all. Take an oath today to be the best you can be - for yourself, the country and your world.


On a lighter note - A word, Timothy

6 comments:

Asneel said...

Amazing post..good for you for doing that.
except i have one problem with this post why the video in the end to ruin all the inspired feeling?
part of the underlying theme?:D

VibrantSoul said...

Loved the LIFE quote. Very true.

aditi said...

long time no see!!

Quicksilver said...

Hey aditi, don't blog often now, reasons include my 12th preparations and my addiction to Facebook. If you're there, send me a friend request, ok? :D

aditi said...

12 th preparations??k..bol! ya m on FB..ER, UR AS QUICKSILVER I PRESUME? ;)

Anonymous said...

stoicism.